COVID-19 Update: New measures
During a press conference held on Wednesday 27th January 2021, Prime Minister Robert Abela announced new restrictions to curb the spread of COVID-19 and to prevent an additional spike in cases which may potentially occur following the traditional carnival holiday weekend which is usually celebrated in the month of February.
The new measures which are to come into effect as from Monday 1st February are the following:
- Restaurants, snack bars and kiosks will be closed between 11pm and 6am;
- Bars are prohibited from opening entirely;
- People travelling to Gozo by car on the ferry are to remain in their vehicles throughout the journey;
- There shall be temperature checks on people travelling to Gozo by ferry between the 11th and 17th of February and patrols by police in the localities of Nadur, Xlendi, Marsalforn and Rabat will take place on such dates; &
- Malta Tourism Authority will be inspecting rental accommodations to ensure that the number of people staying at such accommodations are listed on their licenses – this to ensure there is no overcrowding. Fines for overcrowding are to be announced at a later stage. Moreover, the license holder remains responsible and if in default may risk having license revoked.